LeeAnn Nelson Physical Therapy

Frequently Asked Questions

Please arrive at least 10-15 minutes before your scheduled appointment to fill out paperwork.

Comfortable, we will let you know if you need to bring appropriate shoes etc..

Your session will last approximately 45 min to an hour.

Most insurance companies require a prescription but not all. Medicare does require a script.

Your therapist will evaluate your condition to come up with a plan of care and begin treatment.

Most insurance’s cover physical therapy with certain limitations, ie: copay, coinsurance, visit limitations, authorization. Medicare covers at 80% and most secondary insurances will cover some/all of the remaining 20%. We recommend checking with your insurance company before scheduling so that you will know your coverage before your first appointment. We will also call your insurance company to determine your benefits.

With car accidents, you should file a claim with YOUR insurance company, they work for you, they will assign you a claims adjustor along with a claim number that will be used for billing purposes. With most insurances you will have a PIP, personal injury protection, dollar amount, ie, 2500.00.  Once the PIP has been met, we then will bill your personal insurance. Please note that we will NOT hold claims if you are in litigation with an attorney. You will be responsible for whatever your insurances does not cover.

All co-payments are due on the date of service, if you have a co-insurance, we will bill your insurance company and once they make their payment we will send you a bill for your portion.

With most cases, your doctor will advise us of how many times you should attend, on average it is between 2-3 times a week, but we will determine what is needed.

Yes, we schedule you with the same therapist each visit, in a one-on-one setting, pending your availability.

No, unlike most therapy offices, you will be the only patient with that therapist.

COVID-19 Information
We are open and fully staffed so that we may continue to provide services.

At LeeAnn Nelson Physical Therapy, there is nothing more important to us than your health and safety during this unprecedented time. The Department of Homeland Security and state governments have deemed physical therapy an essential component of health care during the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic; therefore, our facility remains open to serve those in need. We are taking extensive preventative measures, guided by the CDC, to protect our patients and employees who enter our facility.

We hope that by providing this information, you can make a clear decision to continue your plan of care with us during this time. The following protocols are now in place:

Patient screening:  All patients will be screened upon arrival of their appointment time to make sure they are not exhibiting symptoms. We will be taking temperatures and pulse oxygen saturation levels. If a patient is presenting with COVID-19 symptoms, they will be advised to return home and contact their physician.

Staff screening: All employees will be screened for COVID-19 by taking temperatures and pulse oxidation levels. Those presenting any level of symptoms will return home and follow up with their physician before returning to work.

Health hygiene protocols: Ongoing reinforcement to all staff regarding hand washing and other preventative measures for equipment and supplies are in place and being reinforced. All equipment ie: cardio equipment, weights, balls, etc. will be sanitized after each patient use.

Private Treatment Rooms: We offer private treatment rooms for all patients that are at high risk or are concerned and want the least amount of exposure to other patients.

That being said, if you do not feel comfortable coming to our facility for care during this time, we will gladly reschedule your appointment for a later date.

For patients coming to our facility for care, we ask that you please limit the number of people who accompany you to your appointments and ask that those people remain in their vehicles or return to pick you up after the appointment, unless they are necessary for assistance. If for any reason you are not feeling well, please contact the center and we will be happy to reschedule your appointment.

Thank you for helping us ensure the safety of our patients and employees, as well as their families.

All Yoga Classes are cancelled until further notice.